If your iPhone 12 suddenly shows a black screen or won’t turn on, you are not the only one facing this sudden issue. Thousands of iPhone 12 users are met with this unwanted situation and look for an easy way out.
Multiple factors can be behind this unusual behavior of your iPhone 12. Not turning on, in most cases, is the result of a software/hardware issue.
This guide includes the possible reasons behind this issue and how you can fix these issues yourself.
Charge It and Perform the Forced Restart
When your device is stuck on a black screen and not responding, it is mostly a firmware problem. Do not visit the nearby Apple store yet, because an easy solution exists at this point.
In most cases, you should be able to get your phone back to life by doing a forced restart. The first thing you will do at this point is to charge your iPhone 12 as much as possible.
Then, here is how you can do the forced restart by yourself:
- Press the volume up and volume down buttons quickly
- Right after pressing the volume down key, long press and hold the Power button for at least 10 seconds. This simple step triggers the iPhone to have a forced restart or simulated battery pull
- If you see the Apple logo in the middle of the screen, leave the power key and let the phone restart on its own
If the iPhone 12 is restarting, or you are even seeing the Apple logo, it means that the phone can turn on.
If the phone is functioning normally after the forced restart, your problem is solved right here. If the iPhone 12 is still not coming back to life, move ahead to the next solution.
Fix iPhone Software Glitches without Data Loss via TinyFix
After failing to do a forced restart on your phone, you might be inclined to try dozens of random fixes available on the internet. We want to stop you right there because most of these fixes will prove to be useless.
The better solution to restarting your phone is to use professional repair software for iOS like TinyFix.
This software enables you to perform a handful of fixes on your iPhone with the click of a few buttons, which repairs the entire operating system of your iPhone and makes it bug-free.
Here is how you can fix your iPhone 12 with this software:
1. Download and install TinyFix on your computer or laptop and open it.
2. Connect iPhone 12 to the computer with the help of a USB cable and authorize the connection between the two devices.
3. Click ‘iOS System Repair’ on the first window of TinyFix.
4. Select ‘Standard Repair’ on the screen that shows up next.
5. Click on ‘Download’ to download the firmware file for iPhone 12.
6. When the firmware is downloaded, it will begin repairing the issue in your iPhone 12. Click on "done" when the phone is repaired.
TinyFix is the easiest and most reliable way to fix your phone without running to an Apple store.
Perform a Recovery Mode Restore for iPhone 12
If your iPhone 12 still does not turn on after trying the aforementioned methods, this step may help solve the issue.
This is one of the most advanced solutions to fix Apple devices riddled with bugs and software errors. After this, you should be able to fix your iPhone 12 at home.
First, you need to have the latest version of iTunes on your computer. You also need to ensure that the computer runs on an operating system compatible with the iPhone 12.
If your computer ticks all of these requirements, it is time to move to the next step.
- Sync iPhone 12 to the computer with the help of the USB cable and authorize the connection.
- Allow iTunes to sync files and backup the data on your iPhone 12. This will take a few minutes.
- Once the backup is complete, you have to put your phone in recovery mode.
- Press the Volume Up and Volume Down button one by one.
- Then press the Power button and hold it as the prompt appears for ‘Connect to iTunes’.
- Do not release the button as the phone will now go into recovery mode.
- When the phone enters recovery mode, you will see the ‘update’ or ‘restore’ option from the interface of iTunes or Finder.
- Choose to restore if you wish to reinstall and download the iOS on your iPhone 12 without losing the data.
Do not disconnect the phone and keep it connected until the process is complete. The phone will exit recovery mode if the process takes more than 15 minutes. If your phone leaves recovery mode, you can retry the steps again.
Perform a DFU Mode Restore for iPhone 12
If the problem persists, the Device Firmware Update (DFU) is still there as the most in-depth type of restore for your iPhone 12. This is a step where the phone communicates with iTunes even when the boot loader is not active.
This step should only be applied if your phone did not go through physical or water damage. If you try to perform the DFU restore on a physically damaged iPhone 12, you will risk permanently damaging the software.
If you are not confident about the cause of the error in your iPhone 12, we suggest skipping this step. At this point, it is better to take your iPhone 12 to the store for a physical examination and diagnosis by a representative.
If you are confident about the condition of your phone and want to give DFU a try, here is what you need to do:
- Connect your iPhone 12 to the computer with the help of the USB cable and authorize the connection.
- Open iTunes on your computer.
- Press Volume Up, then Volume Down, while releasing both buttons quickly.
- Press and hold the Power button, and wait for the screen to turn black.
- When the screen turns black, press the Volume Down button while pressing and holding the Power button.
- Wait for at least 5 seconds and then release the power button but keep holding the volume down button until your iPhone 12 shows up on iTunes.
- Release the volume down button when you see your phone on iTunes and then follow the on-screen steps to restore your iPhone 12.
- When your phone screen displays the ‘Plug into iTunes’ message, that means you have not entered the DFU mode successfully. You should repeat the steps to enter DFU mode in the correct way.
Take Your iPhone 12 to the Apple Service Center
We recommend that you give up the attempts to restore your iPhone 12 in case of the following conditions:
- After trying to force restart, your iPhone 12 does not show the Apple logo or show lighting up the screen with vibration
- The screen is black, but it shows on iTunes or connects to the power source
- One of the buttons on your phone is broken, so you cannot perform a forced restart or find your phone on iTunes or Detect your iPhone
- Your iPhone 12 is not recognized
In all these cases, a trip to the Apple service center is due. The professionals will take care of your phone by checking the warranty from the serial number and service of repair or replacement.
If you are not eligible for a free repair or replacement, you will be charged for the service. You can also do the iPhone warranty check online to save you some bucks and let you know where you stand.
You cannot worry why your iPhone 12 is not turning on after going through our detailed guide. One of the steps should be able to help you get your phone in working order before you hit the service center.
If the standard restoration steps are not applicable to your iPhone 12, we have also mentioned reliable software TinyFix to take care of the process for you.