So, you’ve suddenly found yourself with an iPhone XR that doesn’t seem to respond. Whatever you do, your device stays this way and you have no idea why.
There are many possible causes for this. One could be a rogue app suddenly hogging all of your iPhone’s resources, or maybe a corrupted software that’s messing with your entire system. Whatever the reason, an unresponsive iPhone should be salvageable.
In this article, we’re going to show you multiple methods you can do to repair your iPhone XR. These include both simple repairs and more drastic solutions.
1. Force Restart Your iPhone XR
A force restart prompts your iPhone to shut down and then turn on again regardless of the current system activity. This happens by physically disconnecting the battery from the iPhone, so that the phone shuts down forcefully.
Everything after that is a normal restart, resetting processes and the temporary memory. It also clears out any corrupt or otherwise unwanted data from your device.
Force restarting your iPhone XR:
- Press then swiftly release the volume up button.
- Repeat the same for the volume down button.
- Lastly, hold down the power button until your iPhone boots up.
As you can see, a force restart is easy to perform. This fix can resolve most of your performance issues. If it doesn’t fix your iPhone from being frozen, then it’s time to troubleshoot for more complicated issues.
2. Clear All Background Apps
Your iPhone XR runs apps in the background all the time. These may be important processes, or programs like messaging apps. Sometimes, these apps can eat up your iPhone’s resources and cause it to freeze.
With that, a simple way to fix a frozen iPhone is to clear the background apps. This essentially forces them to close, giving your iPhone enough resources to function.
Doing so should only take a minute, and you can do this as much as you need. Here’s how to do it:
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen and then hold it briefly.
- Next, swipe left or right to view each app running in the background.
- Simply swipe up the previews to close the app.
After clearing the background apps, your iPhone XR should now have enough processing power to run properly. You can now try opening apps to see if they’re responding. If your iPhone is still frozen, head to the next solution.
3. Run a Full iPhone System Repair Program
If the cause of your issue is more complicated than expected, then it’s probably time to employ the help of recovery tools. TinyFix iOS System Recovery is a system repair tool that fixes all sorts of software issues without losing data on your device.
It’s straightforward and easy, and automatically detects your iPhone’s issues for you. You will need to install iOS System Recovery on a computer and connect your iPhone XR to it. You can then scan and repair from there.
Using TinyFix system repair tool:
- Download and install TinyFix iOS System Repair on a PC or Mac.
- Once installed, launch the app to open a window.
- Then, connect your iPhone XR to your computer.
- On the TinyFix window, select the iOS System Repair > Standard Repair Mode option.
- Once selected, click the Fix Now button to proceed.
- Next, confirm the firmware version you would like to download.
- Click the Download button afterwards.
- Once the download process is finished, click the Fix Now button to begin the repair process.
- Wait for the process to complete, making sure that your iPhone XR is connected to your computer throughout the entire process.
TinyFix repair tool replaces your firmware with a working version. But if this still does not solve your frozen display problem, then it may be time to perform our last resort.
4. Put Your iPhone XR In DFU Mode
If nothing seems to work and your iPhone XR is still frozen, then it may be time to perform a DFU. A Device Firmware Update completely wipes out and reloads your entire phone from the ground up.
With that, it’s best to consider Updating your phone in Recovery Mode first before doing a DFU Restore. This process is slightly more complicated than the other solutions as it may take you a few tries before getting the timing of the button sequence right.
But it offers the most in-depth repair for your iPhone. To enter DFU Mode, you’ll need to connect to a computer, as well as perform a button sequence.
Entering DFU Mode for the iPhone XR:
- Connect your iPhone XR to a computer with either Finder or iTunes.
- Then, launch Finder/iTunes.
- Next, press and let go of the volume up button.
- Do the same for the volume down button.
- Immediately hold down the side button afterward.
- Next, hold down the volume down button while still holding the side button.
- Wait for the screen to turn black.
- After 5 seconds, let go of the side button while still holding the volume down button.
- Do so until your iPhone appears on either Finder or iTunes, whichever you opened.
- Lastly, press the Restore iPhone button and wait for the process to finish.
This should resolve any software issues the device is having. Because all of the software and firmware on your iPhone XR has been reset, it will now seem brand new and you’ll need to set up your device again.
If your iPhone is still frozen, then the problem could be due to a hardware malfunction.
5. Contact Apple to Have Your iPhone Serviced
If none of our suggestions works, then you’ll have to consider the possibility of a hardware malfunction.
Apple provides customer support through chat or call, and you can even schedule a visit to one of their local Apple Stores. You can head to their official website for more information.
6. Don’t Forget to Back Up Your iPhone XR
It’s important that you backup your iPhone XR so that you can restore your data in the event that you’ll need to perform a solution that involves wiping out your iPhone’s storage.
One way to backup your device’s data is through iTunes. You can connect your iPhone XR to a computer with iTunes and back it up from there. This is convenient as it bypasses the need for a working iPhone screen.
Backing up your iPhone through iTunes or Finder:
- Launch iTunes or Finder on your computer.
- Then, connect your iPhone XR via a USB Lightning cable.
- Click the iPhone icon found on the upper-left corner of the iTunes or Finder window.
- Next, select Backup Now.
- Wait for the backup to finish.
After backing up your iPhone, you can now perform data-wiping procedures carefree. At any time, you can simply restore your iPhone’s data using your backup.
That wraps up this guide on how to fix a frozen iPhone XR. Hopefully, we’ve helped you solve your problem.
Remember to only do the drastic measures if you know the root cause of the issue and consult a professional if otherwise. Comment down below how else we can assist you with your dilemma.