Your iPhone just stopped responding and you have no idea. How to restart a hung phone after you have made all attempts to make the phone work smoothly again?
Before you lose all hopes, we will advise you to read this post on retrieving a frozen iPhone screen.
Check out the solutions and we hope that one of them works out for your phone.
Why Is My iPhone Hanging?
Before fixing a hanging iPhone, it is essential to find out why iPhone is hanging up in the first place.
There are many reasons behind the hanging iPhone and in most situations it is the same as a computer freeze.
Did you know that an iPhone can also get a virus just like a computer does? After all, phones of today are more like scaled-down mini computers.
There are four main reasons why iPhones freeze:
- Low storage
- Infrequent reboots
- Problematic apps
- Uninstalled updates
So if you have one of these reasons covered like low storage space, you can save some photos or files on the iCloud drive to free space.
If you left your phone on Always On and never looked back, it is time to safely turn off your phone.
Experts recommend keeping your phone updated and performing some due diligence before you download any apps.
How to fix a Hanging iPhone
If you iPhone is hanging and does not work after pressing the keys, you can try to restart your device firstly.
Restart Your iPhone
Sometimes, software glitch is the culprit and causes your device to hang and become unresponsive.
Try holding the Sleep/Wake button until the ‘Slide to Power Off’ prompt comes on screen.
If this trick does not work or your fully-charged iPhone does not start, you can try to reset the device.
Simultaneously, you need to press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a minimum of 10 seconds.
Depending on the issue, the iPhone should power on or take you to ‘Slide to Power Off’ screen.
Try Force Restarting Your iPhone
Force restart depends on the iPhone model you have, so watch out for the steps in the following list:
iPhone X and newer (with Face ID), iPhone SE, iPhone 8 or 8 Plus:
- Press and release the Volume Up button quickly.
- Press and release the Volume Down button quickly.
- Press and hold side button
- Release button when Apple logo appears on the screen
iPhone 7 or 7 Plus:
- Press and keep holding the Volume Down button and Sleep/Wake button
- Release the buttons when the Apple logo appears
iPhone 6S, 6S Plus, iPhone SE (1st generation), or older:
- Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home button
- Release both buttons when you see the Apple logo on screen
If you are running a previous version iOS, it can become the major reason for your device to freeze.
This is because many apps start working in compatibility with the new iOS update and previous version of the operating system does not work well with these apps.
Moreover, Apple often releases updates that specifically target the freezing problem.
If your phone misses out on such important updates, it is bound to get frozen.
To avoid this issue, you can connect your device to the computer, and update the OS through iTunes or Finder.
Before making this upgrade, make sure that you have backed up your data and synced any files.
If get a chance to gain access to your device, you can also upgrade by going to Settings > General > Software Update > Install Now.
However, upgrading through iTunes takes lesser time.
Apply An iOS System Repair Tool
When the phone is still hanged up and you are losing faith in the tips mentioned above, try this cool tool called TinyFix to restore the phone back to its working glory.
Some tools are created to cater to people who are annoyed with the iPhone screen freeze, one of which is TinyFix.
The tool’s features are mentioned below:
- Fixing iPhone stuck on black screen
- Fixing iPhone stuck in recovery mode
- Fix iPhone stuck on Apple logo
- Fix iPhone frozen screen
- Fix iPhone bootloop.
How to restore the phone using TinyFix:
1. Install and launch TinyFix on your PC.
2. From the three options in the main window, choose iOS System Repair > Standard Repair Mode. This mode helps avoid data loss and is able to resolve all common iOS issues.
3. After clicking the Standard Repair Mode,you’ll need to connect your iPhone to your PC.
(If your device is running iOS 12 or above and is in normal model, the tool may not detect it if it’s locked. Unlock it before clicking the Next button).
4. After that, download the firmware to solve hanging issues with your iPhone. The program will automatically identify the model of your handset and display all the firmware versions available. Choose the version you’d like to use and click Download.
5. Once everything is done, you can start fixing your iPhone. Check the firmware and device information. Click Fix Now after you’ve performed a thorough check.
Note that if you’re using a firmware that’s older than your iOS version, it may affect the fix process. Using a newer version is key to solving compatibility issues should you face an issue fixing your device.
Restore iPhone in Recovery Mode
As your last resort before you contact Apple Support, you can update your iOS. It is a simple and successful move when you iPhone freezes and does not respond.
Here is how you can do it by yourself:
Connect your phone to iTunes on the computer and put your phone into recovery mode by following these steps:
- iPhone 8 or newer: press and release Volume Up button, Volume Down button and then press and hold the side button. Keep holding the side button until you see the prompt for recovery mode (it has a lightning connector and iTunes logo)
- iPhone 7 or 7 Plus: press and keep holding the Volume Down + Sleep/Wake button at the same time. Keep holding the Volume Down button until you see the recovery mode prompt.
- iPhone 6S or older: press and keep holding the sleep/wake + Home button. Keep holding the Home button until you see the recovery mode prompt.
When you spot the option to restore your iPhone, click Update. iTunes will begin updating your device without deleting your data. Do not pick ‘restore’ because it will lose all your data.
If the updating option does not work, your last resort must be to restore the device. This option will bring the phone back to factory settings.
Contact Apple support
If you still end up with no luck in retrieving your phone, you have to contact Apple Support and let an experienced professional help you.
So this is the toolkit iPhone owners need whenever they face the unfortunate situation of the screen hanging up.
Every iPhone owner faces such a situation at least once during usage, so we will suggest that you take a deep breath and get to work.
The tips mentioned in this article cover most iPhone models working today, so you should be able to put your phone in working mode. Best of luck!