Very many Pokémon GO players have reported the “Unable to Authenticate” error every time they try to play the game.
This can cause a lot of frustration for players particularly when are trying to catch as many rare Pokémon as they go.
In this article, we will show you the most effective solutions that you can use to get rid of the “Unable to Authenticate” problem so you can continue to play the game.
Before Getting Started
1. Check the Server Status of Pokémon GO
The first thing you need to do when faced with this problem is to check the server status. Most people face this error because of server issues.
Go to this page to check the server status in your country.
If the server is down, there is nothing that you can do except wait until the server is functioning again.
2. Check the Compatibility of Your Device
It is also possible that you are unable to play the game because your device is incompatible with the version of Pokémon GO you are running on your device.
The following is a detailed description of devices that are compatible with Pokémon GO.
- The device must be running iOS 4.4 and above
- The resolution to run the game must be 720 x 1280 pixels
- Your iPhone must be a model 5s and above
- Your iPhone must be running iOS version 9 and above
The device must have a strong and stable internet connection. GPS or Location services must also be enabled on the game to play it.
3. Pokémon GO Does Not Work with Rooted or Jailbroken Devices
To prevent bots and scrappers from playing the game, Pokémon GO cannot be played on Jailbroken or rooted devices.
There is a likelihood that hackers can infiltrate these types of devices easily and manipulate the system.
But because you can have a rooted or jailbroken device for other reasons, other than trying to cheat the game.
Therefore, there are ways around this ban, allowing you to play the game even on a jailbroken or rooted device.
4. Check If There is a New Version
If a new version of the game has been released, most people find that they are unable to connect with the game.
In this case, Niantic will usually detect the problem very quickly and issue an update that will solve the problem.
How to Fix Pokémon GO Unable to Authenticate Issue
If you have completed all the checks above and you are still unable to play the game, the following are some of the solutions to try:
1. Close and reopen Pokémon GO
Begin by closing and reopening the Pokémon GO app. Here’s how to do it:
Double tap on the home button to access the most recently used apps. Find Pokémon GO and swipe up to close it.
- iPhone X or Later: Swipe up from the bottom of the screen and pause in the middle to see the most recent apps.
- Swipe left or right to find the Pokémon GO app and then swipe up on it to close it.
- iPhone 8 or Earlier: Double tap on the Home Button to see the most recently used apps. Swipe right or left to find Pokémon GO and swipe up on it to close it.
2. Additional Troubleshooting Tip for Android devices & Google Accounts Only
If closing the app doesn’t work, you can try removing and adding your Google account to your device.
Before we show you how to do that, you should know that removing an account will also remove other types of data including email, contacts and settings until you re-add the account to the device.
That said, here’d how to remove a Google Account from your device:
- Step 1: Open the Settings app on your Android device and then tap on Accounts.
- Step 2: If you have more than one Google account, select the account you use to log in to Pokémon GO.
- Step 3: Tap “Remove account.”
Wait up to a minute and then follow these steps to add the account back on your device:
- Step 1: Open the Settings app on your device and then tap on “Accounts.”
- Step 2: Tap “Add Account” and choose “Google” from the list.
- Step 3: Follow the onscreen prompts to complete the process.
3. Clear the Cache on Your Device
Clearing the cache on your device is another great way to fix the problem. Here’s how you can do that:
- Step 1: If the app is open, close it.
- Step 2: Then go to Settings > App.
- Step 3: Choose the Pokémon GO App and click “Clear Cache.”
- Step 4: Open the app again and grant it the necessary permissions.
The only way to clear cache on Pokémon GO for iOS devices is to delete the Pokémon GO app, restart the device and then reinstall the app again.
4. Uninstall and Re-Install Pokémon GO
This is a good solution for both Android and iOS devices. Here’s how to do it:
- Step 1: Begin by uninstalling the app from your device.
- Step 2: Then go to the App Store or Google Play Store to download and install the latest version of the app.
- Step 3: Go into the settings on your device and enable Airplane mode.
- Step 4: Open Pokémon GO and you should see the Niantic labs progress bar. Keep the device in Airplane mode until you get to the Sign in screen.
- Step 5: You will see an error message saying that you are not connected to the internet. When the progress bar is complete, you will be promoted to sign in.
- Step 6: Go back to settings to disable Airplane mode. Wait for the internet connectivity error message to go away before signing into your account.
5. Problem When Using Pokémon Trainer Club Account?
Most users who experience this problem have registered their accounts using the Pokémon Trainer Club.
With so many people playing using their PTC accounts, there is a chance that the server could crash and cause this problem.
You can therefore to get around this problem by linking your PTC account with your Google or Facebook account.
This ensures that Google and Facebook servers will carry all the data in your PTC account, reducing the strain on your account.
6. Check If You Got a Ban
If after trying all the solutions above you are still unable to authenticate, there is a chance that you have been banned.
Niantic will ban players who cheat in the game using bots and GPS spoofers.
The ban can be temporary depending on the situation, but sometimes you account can even be flagged to be deleted.
If you think that your account has been unfairly targeted, go to this link to submit an appeal form. Once you submit the form an autogenerated message will confirm the ban.
Wait for a reply from Niantic about the issue.
We hope that the solutions above can help you get around this authentication error while playing Pokémon GO.
Let us know in the comments section below if you were able to resolve this issue and which solution worked for you.