Pokémon GO is an augmented reality Pokémon game developed by Niantic together with Nintendo and The Pokémon Company. It allows you to have hands-on experience in searching for Pokémon and battling trainers and gyms.
In the game, you are able to walk alongside your partner Pokémon or Buddy while also acquiring Candies which help you level up and evolve your Pokémon. This article will introduce to you the Buddy System and ways on how you earn Candy walking with your buddy.
Without further ado, let’s get started!
What is Pokémon GO's Buddy System?
In the anime, trainers walk side by side with their Pokémon as they travel. For long-time Pokémon fans, this has been a dream that seemed to be impossible to replicate in real life.
Well, the wait is finally over as Pokémon GO has developed a Buddy System that closely replicates the experience.
Pokémon GO's Buddy System lets you choose one of your Pokémon to accompany your avatar in the game as you walk. Now, you’ve always been able to do this in past Pokémon games such as Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver.
However, with Pokémon GO’s more hands-on approach and augmented reality technology, this experience becomes a bit more realistic.
How to Choose a Buddy in Pokémon GO?
Here comes the hard part in the game—choosing your Buddy. From the many Pokémon that you have captured along the way, you could only choose one to walk with you. This requires a huge amount of discernment.
If it's your first time choosing a Buddy, you'll be requested to pick one from your PokéDex, meaning you could only choose a Buddy from the Pokémon that you have caught.
Here are the steps on how to select a Buddy in Pokémon GO:
- First and foremost, launch the game.
- Next, Tap on your avatar's icon located at the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- After that, tap on the menu icon that's on the bottom-right corner and select Buddy from the menu.
- Select a Buddy Pokémon. A menu of your current Pokémon will appear.
- Finally, view your selected Buddy by pressing on the Buddy icon located next to your avatar's icon on your screen. You could also see your Buddy by viewing your avatar’s profile as well.
To switch your Buddy Pokémon, follow these simple steps:
- First, tap on the arrow icon that you can find in the bottom-right corner of your Buddy's profile.
- After that, the PokéDex will open up and from there you can select another Pokémon to switch as your current Buddy.
You can only change your Buddy 20 times per day, which is something to keep an eye on. The downside of switching Buddies is that it affects the distance needed for you to obtain a Candy. We will discuss this more later on.
Switching out your Buddy while having, for example, 2 out of 5 kilometers covered to obtain a candy will reset the counter back to zero. However, at least the all-time distance covered for that Pokémon does not reset as you switch.
How to Earn Candies Walking With Your Buddy
Now that you got your Buddy walking with you on adventures, it will earn Candies according to the accumulated distance you both travel together.
This is one of the known ways to level up and evolve your Pokémon, especially the rare ones that you don’t normally see in the wild.
The candy you earn by walking will depend on the Pokémon you are walking with. For example, walking with a Prinplup will give you Piplup candy. The kilometers you need to accumulate will depend on the rarity of a Pokemon.
Powering up your Pokémon through the Pokémon GO's Buddy System is quite tasking, similar to hatching an egg. So you better start limbering up and prepare for long hours outside.
How to Walk With Your Buddy in Pokémon GO
In order for your Buddy to walk alongside your avatar in the game, you have to feed the little dude—or gal—first. The Buddy Feeding System was introduced together with the Buddy System allowing you to feed your Buddy with berries and poffins.
This increases your Buddy’s metre and will eventually allow your Pokémon to walk side-by-side with your avatar. Normally, it would take 3 regular berries to fill the circular metre you see at the top portion of the screen.
A Poffin, on the other hand, will fill the entire metre. This is a special kind of berry exclusively made for the Buddy System which you can obtain through special events and, of course, microtransactions.
Here are the steps on how you could fill your Buddy metre and walk with your Buddy:
- First, go to the Buddy menu beside your Trainer Profile.
- Now, you tap the Play button. This will ask you to launch the Augmented Reality mode so that you can play with your Buddy in the real world.
- Next, feed them berries or Poffins. Once you see the available berries, you need to choose which and how many you are going to feed your Buddy.
- Once you’ve decided, you can toss them towards your Pokémon the same way you throw a Pokéball.
- Finally, walk with your Pokémon!
You would know that you have fed your Pokémon enough through a metre. Once the metre is full, it can now join you in your adventure!
How Many Kilometers to Walk to Earn Candies in Pokémon GO?
As mentioned earlier, the number of kilometers needed to earn a Candy in Pokémon GO will vary between each type of Pokémon. The distance normally varies between 1km, 3km, and 5km for non-Legendaries while Legendary Pokémon requires 20km to obtain a candy.
Here is a simple guide on the various kinds of Pokémon alongside their respective kilometer requirements:
- 1 kilometer per candy - These include Pokémon that are extremely common and you normally encounter in the wild. This also includes their evolutions such as Pikachu, Wurmple, and Fletchling.
- 3 kilometers per candy - These include the semi-rare Pokémon and their respective evolutions. Examples of these are Bulbasaur and Meowth.
- 5 kilometers per candy - These are Pokémons that are a bit hard to find and are considered rare. Pokémon under this category include Eevee, Unknown and Feebas.
- 20 kilometers per candy - Legendary and Mythical Pokémon fall under this category as it is generally harder to level up these Pokémon. Examples include Darkrai and Celebi.
Some Pokémon can evolve through special conditions. To make your Eevee evolve into an Espeon, you have to walk with it as a Buddy for 10 kilometers during the day. For an Umbreon, you have to achieve the 10 kilometers during the night.
It’s also important to know that when your Buddy Pokémon becomes “excited”, the distance requirement is halved. This state can be achieved by visiting a new location, walking 2 km, feeding and playing with your Buddy, opening a souvenir or present, and visiting a Location highlighted by your Buddy.
Pokémon GO Walking Hack
Pokémon GO Walking Hack on iOS
There are instances when walking might be too taxing or inconvenient, especially for those with disabilities. To compensate for that, you could utilize software like MockGo, which allows you to move in the game without actually moving in real life. This also allows you to catch Pokémon that can be found in hard-to-reach areas such as water and find rare kinds.
However, with pros there are cons to this. First and foremost is that you might have to jailbreak your iOS device, which is something that some people may find uncomfortable doing. This allows you to download the necessary software for your device to make the hack work.
Another thing is that your account may get banned for suspicious activity. Niantic is pretty strict in terms of hacks and exploits so the moment they find you instantly teleport from place to place, they are going to warn you or sometimes ban you immediately.
If you find these risks worth taking, then you can proceed with the hack. The MockGo app is pretty simple to use. As mentioned earlier, you might have to jailbreak your iPhone to use these hacks, but with MockGo’s, you wouldn’t actually need to.
Here are the steps on how you could use MockGo to change your location in Pokémon GO:
- First, download MockGo for Windows or Mac computer.
- After installing it, launch the MockGo.
- Next, connect your iOS device to your computer using a working lightning cable and connect it to the application. Simply click on Start as soon as your device is detected to start the process.
- Once the map is loaded, go to the second option located at the top-right corner to simulate movement between two spots.
- Search for the location of your choice on the search bar.
- Now, adjust the pin on the screen and click on the Move Here feature. You need to enter the number of times you want to move before hitting Start to start moving.
You could also move between multiple spots instead of two by using the multi-stop route feature. This simulates movement between more than two spots so you won’t always travel in a single, straight line.
The walking simulation would make the game believe that you are actually walking between locations, avoiding the teleporting problem. You can also adjust your walking speed by using the slider found at the bottom of the screen.
After doing all the steps shown, all you need to do now is to sit back and watch the application do its work.
Pokémon GO Walking Hack on Android
If you are using an Android device instead of iOS, you would need to download the Fake GPS app at the Google Play Store. This is a location spoofer app that allows you to change your location on your phone.
Here are the simple steps on how you could use the Fake GPS app for Android devices.
- Enable developer mode by first going to Settings. From there, select System then, About Phone. Now, repeatedly click the Build Number until developer mode is enabled.
- Next, download the Fake GPS Free app from the Google Play Store and click on Enable Mock Locations after launching.
- Now, open the developer options and click on select location app. Select the FakeGPS Free option as your location app.
- Then, switch back to the Fake GPS app and look for the desired location. After choosing the location, press Play to turn on the fake location.
- Finally, check if the location change is successful and start playing.
By following these steps, you will be able to move around the Pokemon GO world without actually moving in real life. This allows you to save time and energy that you should have spent walking long distances.
The Buddy System is a unique and fun way to level up and evolve your Pokémon. It allows you to walk long distances and build a bond with your Pokémon.
If you have any more queries on how to earn Candy while walking with your Buddy, please feel free to comment down below. It is going to be an exhausting task so suit up and start stretching, Trainers!