The advancement of technology comes with both perks and snags. One major concern is our safety and privacy. A device’s location can easily be pinpointed by anyone with the right software and knowledge the moment the owner accesses his applications.
If this is an issue for you, don’t worry. There are numerous ways to hide your iPhone’s location, and I have listed them here in great detail for your convenience.
Shall we dive in?
Hide Your Location on iPhone with MockGo iOS GPS Spoofer
If you are an iPhone user who is experienced in manipulating your device’s location for games and such, then you are no doubt familiar with MockGo. This tool allows you to change your phone’s location while staying within the comfort of your own home.
It is widely used for location-based games such as Pokémon GO. The best part is that jailbreaking isn’t required for this software.
Follow these steps to hide your location using MockGo:
1. First up, download and install MockGo onto your computer.
2. After installing, run the program and connect your iPhone to your computer. Then, click Start on the main screen to see your device’s current location on the map.
3. Next, teleport to a different location by activating Teleport mode. The clickable icon should be on the upper-right corner of the screen.
4. After that, enter the address of the place you want to go to on the search bar and click GO to proceed.
5. From there, you will be directed to the desired location. Make sure that it is your intended location.
Finally, click Move Here to teleport your device’s location to your intended coordinates.
After successfully changing your location using MockGo, the new coordinates will remain the same until you restart your device or use the software to reset your location once again. Always remember to check the map to verify the set and current location.
Turning on ‘Airplane Mode’ on Your iPhone
An easy way to hide your location is to simply activate the Airplane Mode on your iPhone. When this feature is turned on, all connections on your phone are switched off. These include your Wi-Fi, cellular data, and most importantly, your location.
This is how you turn on Airplane Mode through the Control Center:
- First, open the Control Center by swiping upwards from the bottom-most part of your screen.
- Then, tap the airplane icon found in the menu, commonly found at the upper left corner.
You can also turn on Airplane Mode through the Settings app on your phone. It is usually one of the first options you see when you open the app.
In the event that your iPhone is in Airplane Mode, your device will show its last known location as its current location. The downside is you won’t be able to make any calls or send any texts. Though accessing Wi-Fi hotspots can be enabled during Airplane Mode, doing so would reveal your location.
Share the Location From Another Device
If you happen to have more than one Apple device, you can actually share the location of an alternate device at home with the device that you are using. This way, you can roam around freely while your location will remain the same, giving the impression that you aren’t moving at all.
Here are the steps on how to share your location with another device:
- First, make sure that both iOS devices have the same iOS account logged into them.
- After that, open the Settings app on your alternate device.
- Next, tap on your name which can be found at the top portion of your screen.
- Then, tap on Find My.
- Finally, select ‘Use This iPhone as My Location’.
Once done, you can then leave your alternate device at home. If anyone is attempting to track you, they will only be shown that location.
Stop Sharing Your Location from Find My App with Centain People
Your location can also be tracked through the Find My app. The app functions similarly to the built-in location services on your iPhone. It allows you to share your locations with others as they share their location with you. This is helpful for monitoring and safety purposes.
If you prefer to stay hidden at times, here’s how to do it:
- First, open the Find My app.
- Tap on People on the bottom corner of your screen.
- Then, select on a person you don’t want to share your location with and select Stop Sharing My Location.
This is a more selective method wherein you can choose who gets to know where you are and vice versa. You can enable and disable this at your discretion as well.
Stop Sharing Your Location from Settings with Everyone
The previous method isn’t possible for everyone, as some may only have one iPhone with them. If that is the case for you, then you can go for a simpler approach and turn off the “Share My Location” option. This will completely hide your iPhone’s location, leaving your family members none the wiser.
The process is quite simple. Here’s how to do it:
- First, open the Settings app on your alternate device.
- Next, tap on your name which can be found on the top portion of your screen.
- Then, tap on Find My.
- Finally, simply turn off ‘Share My Location’.
With the ‘Share My Location’ option on, the family members that you have set on your phone will be able to track you. However, if turned off, your device will be invisible to them.
Hide Your Precise Location from iPhone
While using the Find My app stated earlier and the Messages app on your iPhone, you can set your location to an approximate one instead of your precise location. This gives other people an idea of where you might be, even though they won't know exactly where.
This feature was introduced in iOS 14, and it is great for privacy purposes, benefiting both you and your applications.
Here is how you do it:
- First, open the Settings app and select Privacy.
- After that, select Location Services.
- Tap on Find My.
- Next, toggle the Precise Location option to off.
- Finally, do the previous steps for the other applications such as Messages.
After doing this, people will only be able to get a general sense of where you are. If you are trying to hide completely, this isn’t the method for you. For people wanting to hide in the same city but different homes on the other hand, this method can be quite handy.
Completely Hide Your iPhone Location
If you want your phone to be completely invisible on the map wherein even the phone company cannot track you, there is only one proven way to do it. Simply turn it off. I’m not talking about locking it, there is a difference between the two.
Locking will only turn the screen off and put it to sleep mode but not totally shut down the device. In that case, your device can still be detected.
Turning it off on the other hand will shut down all your phone’s functions including the location services on your phone. This way, your phone cannot be tracked thus hiding the locations of where you are and where you went.
Simply press and hold the sleep button on the side of your screen—the location may depend on the model of your phone—and drag the slider. Once your device has completely shut down, your location will no longer be traceable, at least until you power your phone back on.
There are many reasons why a person would opt to hide their location on their phones. It could be they prefer to be private or they could be planning a surprise. Hiding your phone’s location is not a hard thing to do as there are many ways to do it depending on your preference.
The various methods include turning Airplane Mode on, sharing the location of an alternate device, turning your location off from your phone and others. You can even utilize an external software such as MockGo to mask your location and change it as you please.
Everyone has a right to privacy, and these methods can help give you that. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to hit us up at the comment section below.