The iPhone contains various features that make our life more convenient. From storing our money in virtual credit cards to providing us with the latest news, Apple keeps introducing new ways to make our daily lives easier.
One of these features is the Find My iPhone application, which is what we will be tackling in this article.
It is a helpful app that is not only beneficial to you but also to your friends and family. However, there will be times when this will backfire and result in negative circumstances instead.
This article will talk about what the Find My app is, and how you can trick it through various methods.
Let’s get right into it.
What is the Find My iPhone?
The Find My application is, as the name suggests, an application that helps you track your belongings. The app isn’t limited to your iPhone.
It can also track other bluetooth devices and even non-electronic devices through AirTags.
Here are a list of features that the Find My app provides:
- Locating lost devices.
- Separation alerts for devices.
- Locating devices without an internet connection.
- Locating friends and family through location sharing.
- Tracking devices that have been reset or erased.
- Help a friend find a lost device.
- Tracking AirTags, which are bluetooth trackers that are placed on everyday items.
- Tracking third-party bluetooth devices.
Now, there are times when you would want to hide your location even from your friends and family. An example of these situations is preparing for a surprise party.
You wouldn’t want to ruin the element of surprise by inadvertently letting your loved one know that you're already at their house waiting for them just because of the app.
In this type of situation, hiding your location is important.
How to Trick Find My iPhone's Location
There are various ways to trick the Find My app. Here is a list of the common ways you can change your virtual location on iPhone:
Using an iPhone GPS Changer
One of the best ways to change your location is through an iPhone GPS changer like MockGo. This app allows you to teleport the GPS of your iOS device to any location.
You can also use it to fake a movement from a single point to another easily and naturally. Here are the steps on how to use MockGo to change your location:
Step 1. First, download and install MockGo on your computer. After that, launch the application.
Step 2. Next, connect your iPhone to your PC. Once connected, click on Start to start the process.
Step 3. After that, go to the first option located at the top-right corner to enable the Teleport mode.
Step 4. Now, search for the location you want to change to on the search bar and adjust the pin on the screen to pinpoint the exact location.
Step 5. Next, click on the Move Here button to change the location immediately.
You can see the new GPS location on your iPhone and its location-based apps such as weather or map.
Moving through two or multiple spots instead of teleporting is also possible using the one-stop or multi-stop route feature. It does not require any jailbreaking and you can get the app for as low as $9.95 a month.
Fake My GPS Location on iPhone by Editing the Apple Maps Plist File
If you prefer not to spend any money on third-party applications but at the same time wish to avoid jailbreaking your device, you can do the process manually instead.
To do this, you would need the assistance of iBackupBot, a free tool that allows you to configure the backup files on your phone. This helps you change your location by backing up configured files through iTunes.
Here are the steps on how to use it:
- First, connect your iPhone to your PC.
- Next, head to the iBackupBot website and download the app to your PC.
- After that, launch iTunes.
- Once launched, click on the iPhone icon.
- Click on Back Up Now and ensure that the Encrypt iPhone box remains unchecked.
- After the backup process is done, close iTunes.
- Launch iBackupBot and go to User App Files > com.Apple.Maps > Library > Preferences and look for the Apple Maps plist file. If you can’t find it there, try System Files > HomeDomain > Library > Preferences.
- Once you find it, open the Apple Maps plist file and search for the <dict> tag.
- Next, insert the following code under the tag:
- After that, close iBackupBot.
- Head to your iPhone device and go to Settings > Your Apple ID > iCloud > Find My Phone.
- Next, toggle the Find My Phone to off.
- Now, relaunch iTunes and back up your device again.
- Finally, launch Apple Maps and navigate to your desired location. Click on Simulate Location found at the bottom of the window to change your location.
The process is not beginner-friendly and involves a bit of coding. On the plus side, however, it is free to download. Just be sure to follow the steps closely and you’ll be fine.
Fake Your GPS Location by Jailbreaking Your iPhone
You can also change your location on your phone by jailbreaking your device. We won’t be going over the actual jailbreaking process as it is beyond the scope of this article.
However, once you successfully jailbreak your device, you can consider using Cydia apps such as LocationHandle or akLocationX to change your location easily.
Be informed that devices with iOS12 and above are known to be harder to jailbreak. This is due to the fact that Apple is actually aware of such intrusions and has been developing countermeasures to prevent them from happening.
The Find My app is a pretty useful tool that helps you recover lost items and keep track of your loved ones.
However, there are instances wherein you would want to hide your location from them.
This can easily be done by making use of third-party apps or manually changing your location with or without jailbreaking your device.
Amongst the many options, the safest and most effective method is using a third-party app such as MockGo.
It is easy to use, quick and gets the job done. If you have any questions or queries about tricking the Find My app, feel free to shoot us a comment down below.