Snapchat’s geo-location filters are not the best in the world. They are very easy to understand, making it easy for users to spoof them when necessary.
They don’t need to be complicated because they are mostly used for those times when a location tag is not enough to indicate the location sufficiently.
Users may want to spoof these geo-location filters to communicate a false location as a prank or when they just don’t want other users to know where they are.
Whatever the reason, this guide will show you how you can easily fake the location on these Snapchat Filters.
What is a Snapchat Filter?
Snapchat filters are layovers that can be added to photos and videos. They can indicate the location, speed, temperature, time and even add color tones to the media files. The following are the Snapchat filters that you can access by default on Snapchat;
- Color Effects: You can choose from Sepia, black and white or neon color tones
- Record Filters: A frame and a “rec” icon are added to the top of your snap
- Speed Filters: Shows the speed at which you ate travelling. You can use MPH or KMPH
- Temperature Filters: Shows the current temperature in your location
- Location Filters: Shows the current location of the snap
- Time Filter: Shows the time the photo was taken. You can change the format of the clock
Snapchat offers thousands of other filters called Geo-filters that you can use depending on your location. You can also create your own Snapchat filters.
How to Enable Snapchat Filters
To use Snapchat filters, you will need to enable the feature in settings. Here’s how to do that;
- Step 1: Open Snapchat and then swipe down on the camera screen to access your profile.
- Step 2: Tap on the Settings icon at the top-right corner of the profile screen.
- Step 3: Tap on “Manage Preferences.”
- Step 4: Scroll down to “Additional Services” and enable “Filters.” Once this is enabled, you will be able to access and use Geo-filters.
Please note that you will need to enable location services for Snapchat to use Geo-filters.
How to Fake Location on Snapchat Filters on iPhone
The best way to fake location on Snapchat filters is to change the GPS location on your iPhone. We will show you 2 different ways to fake location on your iPhone.
Fake Location on Snapchat Filters without Jailbreak
The best way to fake te GPS location of iPhone is to use a dedicated location spoofing tool that will allow you to change the GPS without having to jailbreak the device.
The best tool for the job in this case is MockGo, a program that can instantly change the location on your device to anywhere in the world in a single click.
It is also a good way to fake GPS walking along a specified route at a customizable speed.
Download and install MockGo onto your computer and follow the steps below to use MockGo to change the location on Snapchat Filters on iPhone;
Step 1: Open MockGo on your computer and then connect the iPhone to the computer. Tap “trust” when promoted and click “Start” A map will appear on the screen indicating the device’s current location.
Step 2: Click on the teleport-mode icon from the options in the upper-right corner of the screen and select the location you would like to teleport the device to. You can also enter coordinates to choose the location.
Step 3: A popup will appear with additional information about your selected location including distance, coordinates and the name of the place. Click “Move Here” and the GPS location of your device will change instantly.
To revert back to your actual location, simply restart the device.
Fake Location on Snapchat Filters Using a Jailbreak Tweak
Phantom is a jailbreak tweak that can be used to further customize how you use Snapchat. Once you have it installed on your device, you can use it to hide your actual location, thereby keeping your activities private.
You can then share snaps easily and without having to worry about someone tracking you down.
To install Phantom, you will first need to install TweakBox, third-party app store. Once this is done, follow these simple steps to spoof your location with Phantom;
- Step 1: Go to Settings and then open Phantom for Snapchat
- Step 2: Configure the options there.
- Step 3: Then launch Snapchat and tap on the Location button at the bottom of the screen.
- Step 4: Use the World Map to change your location. Tap and hold on the selected location until the Map vanishes.
Now your snaps will show this new location. If you want to change the location for a second time on the same snap, you just swipe in the opposite way to get new geo-location filters.
This app is however only available for jailbroken devices, which makes it useless to you if jailbreaking your device is not an option. This app is also very rarely updated, a factor that can cause operational problems.
With so many app using location services for various reasons, it is increasingly becoming necessary to find ways to change the location on these apps to maintain privacy. Now you have easy and effective ways to change the location on Snapchat.