Do you want to set up some restrictions on your iPad, but you don’t know where they are? If you recently updated your device to iOS 12, you may notice that the “Restrictions” feature has moved.
Here, we will show you where you can find the Restrictions on your iPhone or iPad and how to use this feature to effectively limit the apps and features that can be accessed on your device.
Let’s start with exactly where the “Restrictions” are on your Apple device:
Where is Restrictions on iPhone and iPad
Restriction settings on your iPhone and iPad helps you control what you can and can't do with your phone, as well as what kind of content you can see.
For iPhones or iPads running an earlier version of iOS 12, Restrictions can be found by going to "Settings," "General," and then "Restrictions".
On iOS 12, the Restrictions on iOS devices moved to the new Screen Time section. You can therefore access “Restrictions” by opening the Settings app and tapping on “Screen Time.”
Screen Time is a feature that Apple introduced with the release of iOS 12. It helps users manage how much time they spend looking at the device’s screen or even limit what they can look at.
If it is your first time accessing the “Turn on Screen Time” then provide a Screen Time Passcode. You should see the “Content & Privacy Restrictions” where you can find all the old restrictions.
How to Turn On Restrictions on Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
To turn on restrictions, go to Settings > Screen Time and then tap on “Content & Privacy Restrictions.”
You will then need to set you a “Screen Time Passcode” which is different from the passcode that you use to unlock your device.
Then turn on the switch next to “Content & Privacy Restrictions” at the top.
With this feature enabled, you will have control over the features and apps that can be accessed on the iPhone.
The following are the features you can control:
- You can turn off the ability to install apps, make in-app purchases or even delete apps.
- You can also turn off some of the built-in apps including FaceTime, Safari, and Wallet.
- You can prevent the download of certain media files including music, books, movies, and TV shows based on their rating. It is also a good way to filter explicit websites and adult content.
- It also allows you to turn off “Share My Location”, allowing you to control how the device’s location is shared with friends and family in the Messages App.
- You can also effectively turn off “Location Services” or control the privacy settings on certain apps.
How to Disable Restrictions on Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
If you want to disable the restrictions on your device, follow these simple steps:
- Step 1: Go to Settings > Screen Time and then tap on “Content & Privacy Restrictions.”
- Step 2: When prompted, enter the Screen Time passcode.
- Step 3: Then, turn off the switch next to “Content & Privacy.”
The Restrictions Settings that you used will however be retained to make it easier for you to use them the next time you enable Restrictions.
You can also very easily turn off the Screen Time restriction on your iOS device completely.
To do that, follow these simple steps:
- Step 1: Open the Settings app on your device and then tap on “Screen Time.”
- Step 2: Scroll down to tap “Turn off Screen Time.”
- Step 3: When prompted, enter the Screen Time passcode.
Turning off Screen Time will delete all your app, website, and notifications history. With this feature disabled, your device will not save any data.
Forgot Restriction/Screen Time Passcode?
You need your Screen Time passcode to enable and disable this feature and if you forget the passcode, you may find that you are unable to access various features on your device.
One of the best ways to bypass the Screen Time is to use Unlockit.
This program is easy to use and will remove the Screen Time passcode without losing data in just a few simple steps. Here’s how to use it:
Before getting started, download and install Unlockit on your computer.
Simply follow the instructions in the video or the steps listed below:
Step 1: Open it after installation and then select “Remove Screen Time Passcode” in the main window.
Step 2: Connect your iPad to the computer and when prompted, tap “Trust” on the device to allow the program to detect the connected device. If the “Find my iPhone/iPad” feature is enabled on the device, you should disable it.
Step 3: Once the device is properly connected, simply click on “Start” to begin removing the Screen Time passcode.
Keep the device connected to the computer until Unlockit notifies you that the process is complete.
Disconnect the device and set up a new Screen Time passcode that you will be able to remember.
The Restrictions feature is a great way to keep certain aspects of your device from unauthorized access.
Parents particularly find it very useful when they want to keep their children from accessing inappropriate content.
We hope that the information here will help you set up and use this feature effectively.