Bumble is a great app for finding a dating partner or a friend to hang out with. Having access to your current location is an important requirement of this and other dating apps.
Bumble uses the algorithms to show you matches from nearby areas first. If your Bumble location is not updating, you can have a hard time finding any relevant matches.
Are you facing this issue in your Bumble app? We're here to help. Let's look at how the location services work on Bumble, what are the reasons for the location not being updated, and how to fix them.
How does Bumble location work
If you're not online, Bumble would not know your exact location. In this case, the app will use your location from your previous online session with Bumble.
This happens because it does not run in the background, unlike any other dating app. Once you've closed the Bumble application, it will stop working, and you will only get notified if you have got a match or a message.
Many apps that require location GPS will ask you to choose from the following location options when you launch the app for the first time:
1) while only using the app
The 'while only using the app' option enables location GPS whenever you're using the app, and once you close the app, the GPS location will stop working in the background.
In the 'always' option, the GPS location will work in the background even if you close the app. And finally, in the 'never' option, the GPS location will be turned off while you're on the app or if the app is running in the background.
Why is the location important on the Bumble app? It's because the app will display your city name under your profile. Other users cannot see the distance in miles you're away from them.
It will only show the city you're currently residing in. But once you log back into the app or open it, Bumble will use the WiFi or the GPS location to update your miles to the exact location.
What causes the Bumble location service to stop updating
There can be many reasons for Bumble location services to stop updating. Users can face issues when trying to update the correct location on their device due to:
- Incorrect date and time - the date and time on your device and PC need to be accurate. If the date and time do not match, there can be a sync issue between the PC and the smartphone.
- An active internet connection is needed when moving - If you're going from one place to another, make sure you're connected to the internet and have enough data or speed (3G or above).
- The app needs permission to access the location - Check if the location service is disabled on your smartphone device. It may cause the problem that the app is not detecting your location.
- Location Services turned off - Enable the location services option from the settings.
- The state government restricts the app - Some countries restrict access to dating apps like Bumble. This can cause the app to be unable to detect the device's location.
- The smartphone is outdated - If you're using an old handset, the chances are the app isn't compatible with your device variant.
How to fix Bumble location not updating issue
Check whether Bumble has permission to access the location
Before fixing or looking for the solution to why Bumble is showing your location wrong, check whether the app has permission to access the location. The app will determine your location whenever you connect to the internet.
Bumble can request a most recent city location, so once you click on the icon, it will update your location to the current city.
Check the internet connection
Another quick check is to see if the internet connection is working. This can be another reason for the Bumble app not to update the location.
After the connection is restored and secured, Bumble will update the location under your profile. In the case of the app still not updating your current location and you even have a secured internet connection, you can fix it by updating the Bumble app.
Update the Bumble app
To update the Bumble app on the Android, follow these steps:
- Head over to Google Play to open the app.
- Select the profile icon (it's located on the top right of the screen).
- Tap on the Manage apps and devices option from the menu. If any apps have an update available, there will be an 'Update available' label next to them. Tap on the 'Update' button.
It will then update the Bumble app in a few seconds, depending on your internet connection speed.
The best practice is to update all apps simultaneously. You can do this by tapping the profile icon, choosing Setting > Network Preferences, and selecting the Auto-update apps option.
You can choose between the two options for updating the apps: over the WiFi or mobile data, or WiFi only.
To update the Bumble app on the iOS devices, follow these steps:
- Open the App Store.
- Tap on your profile icon located at the top of the screen.
- Scroll down until you see the Bumble app and tap on the 'Update' button next to it. You can also tap on 'Update all' to update every app with a pending update on your device.
It will start to update the Bumble app on the iPhone or iPad. You can also turn on the auto-update option by going to Settings, selecting the App Store menu, and toggling on the App Updates under the Automatic Downloads option.
Reach out to the Bumble app team
If the location doesn't update even after updating the Bumble app, the app may have a bug. Only developers can fix it by releasing a patch or a newer version. You can also reach out to the Bumble app team to address your concern and ask for assistance.
How to fix Bumble live location not updating issue
To fix the Bumble live location on your devices, follow the guide below:
- Enable the GPS services by going to the phone's settings menu. Look for the allow GPS location on the device option and enable it.
- Ensure you have enough data (if WiFi is not available), an active internet, a high-speed connection, and no restriction on the app to use mobile data.
- Restart or reboot your smartphone.
- Uninstall the app and then install it back again.
Try all of the steps above to fix the issue. But if the problem still occurs, there's a possibility that your device has a hardware issue. You can go to your nearest mobile repair shop to get your phone examined for any hardware defects.
Having the right location on the Bumble app is crucial. Bumble uses the information to show you potential matches in your nearby area. Plus, it shows you as a potential match to other Bumble users in your locality. If your app's location is not accurate, the matches in your area will not be able to see your profile.
Therefore, fixing the location updating problem on the Bumble app is crucial for the app to function properly. Hopefully, the tips and advice mentioned in this article will help your resolve the issue for good.