With data gathering on the rise, many people are taking bold steps to keep themselves anonymous. A popular solution is to use apps that prevent agencies from collecting your data.
Whisper is one of such tools—it safeguards your identity and also lets you hide your location. The last part requires you to know how to change location on the app.
In this post, we’ll highlight all the ways you can change the location on Whisper. But first, let’s take a closer look at the app and what it has to offer.
What is Whisper?
Whisper is a social media app that labels itself as “Anti-Facebook.” It’s designed for those who prioritize anonymity over everything else.
Anyone 17 and above can become a Whisperer and the platform has a big team that moderates the content published daily.
As a user, you can browse other people’s posts (Whispers), comment on them, leave a like, and chat with other users.
However, Whisper is known to track the location of its users, which is concerning given that it’s designed to help keep you anonymous.
How Does Whisper Track the Location of Users?
According to The Guardian, Whisper uses an in-house mapping tool to identify the location of the many users who opt into the app’s geolocation services (with GPS data accurate to within a 500-meter range).
It also learns the whereabouts of those who’ve disabled their geolocation service, by deriving approximate location data from their IP information. There is a special tool for this, which is available on demand.
Whisper gathers users’ IP data, unique smartphone ID code, and for people who opt into their geolocation service, their location, to within 500 meters where they compose messages.
If law enforcement gets this data, they can easily identify your location.
Just to remind you, when you agree to Whisper’s Terms of Service, you accept that Whisper can collect a specific amount of usage data and that the deletion of your Whispers isn’t guaranteed.
Moreover, you accept that your chats and Whispers might be acquired by another firm should Whisper be merged or sold in the future, whether entirely or partially.
Lastly, you give Whisper the right to reveal your messages, info, and posts to the court or government if they come asking.
Is It Possible to Change the Location on Whisper?
When you install Whisper, you can choose to either deny or permit the app to access your phone’s location.
If you allow it to access your whereabouts but later change your mind, you can take steps to fake your location on the app.
Learning this can be useful because there is no direct way to opt out of geolocation from within the app.
How to Change Your Location on Whisper (iOS)
The simplest way to change your location on Whisper is to fake the GPS location of your iOS device.
Doing this gives you the opportunity to remain anonymous even if you’ve agreed to use the app’s geolocation service.
To make spoofing easy, you can install MockGo onto the computer and change the GPS on your phone.
MockGo is an app that lets you teleport your iOS GPS location to any place in a single click. Here are some of its features:
- Get flexible GPS control with joystick
- Transport to any place around the globe
- Simulate movement along a route (set by various spots)
- Simulate movement along a route (set by two spots)
MockGo is completely safe to use. Compared to other apps, you’re unlikely to get your Whisper account banned when you change your location with the help of this app.
The following are the steps to fake your iOS Location:
1. Download and install MockGo on your computer. Start the program..
2. Use the lightning cable to connect your iDevice to your PC, then click ‘Start.’
3. After the map opens, activate ‘Teleport mode’ by clicking the 1st icon on the top right of your screen. Then enter the name of the location you want Whisper to consider you to be in, and hit ‘Go.’
4. The app will acknowledge your command and display a popup box. Choose ‘Move Here’ when the box is presented to you.
5. This is now your new location!
How to Change Your Location on Whisper for Android
On Android, you can install an app like Fake GPS Location to fake your Whisper geolocation. This app doesn’t require you to root your device, and work on just about every Android handset.
That said, you do need to activate ‘Developer settings’ on your device.
Developer Settings is hidden by default because it’s meant for those who know how to use it properly. However, enabling it for the purpose of concealing your location is safe and easy. Here is how you can do it:
- 1. Go to Settings and scroll down until you see the ‘About Phone’ section of the menu.
- 2. Tap ‘Software Information’ to go to the next menu.
- 3. Scroll further and find the ‘Build Number’ – tap on it 7 times, put in your phone unlock code, and voila, your developer settings will be enabled.
On some Android handsets, you won’t need to perform the 2nd and 3rd step, as Developer Settings will already be there; you’ll just need to toggle it before spoofing your GPS coordinates.
Additionally, you’ll need to activate ‘Mock Location’ to use Fake GPS effectively.
- 1. Go to the About Phone > Developer Options
- 2. Tap ‘Select Mock Location App’
- 3. Select the Fake GPS Location app
And that’s it. Now open the GPS faking app and give it access to your phone’s location.
Then, move the slider to the location you’d like Whisper to think you’re at. The last step is to tap ‘Play’ and then your location will be set on your device.
How to Hide Your Whisper Location Completely
If you want to hide your Whisper location for securiy purposem, you can try to completely disable the location services on your Android or iOS handset.
There are two ways to deactivate location services on Android tablets and smartphones. Here are the steps recommended by Whisper:
- 1. Open the Settings app from your home screen.
- 2. Head over to Applications in the menu.
- 3. Launch the Application Manager.
- 4. Choose Whisper by tapping on its name.
- 5. Tap Permissions.
- 6. Tap the slider switch alongside location services.
If you want to switch it on, just repeat the steps.
Google also recommends a specific method for deactivating location on Android handsets. Here are the steps.
- 1. Launch the Settings app on your phone.
- 2. Go to Security & location and tap Advanced (if you’re using a work profile or an older Android handset).
- 3. Now tap the location and the slider switch next to Use location.
Taking these steps should deactivate the location.
If you want to reduce location service accuracy, take the following steps:
- 1. Open Settings > Security & location section
- 2. Head over to Location section: Select the Advanced tab and then choose Google Location Accuracy. On older devices, Advanced might appear with the name Mode. Tap on it.
- 3. Tap the slider switch near the Improve Location Accuracy option to switch it off.
You can toggle it on again by repeating the steps.
iOS users can switch off location services by taking these steps:
- 1. Open the Settings app.
- 2. Launch the Privacy tab, then go to the Location Services section.
- 3. Locate Whisper and tap on its name.
- 4. Select your desired location mode.
You’ll now see three options pertaining to geo-location. If you choose Never, it means you’re completely preventing apps (even active ones) from collecting your location data.
The second option, While Using the App, permits apps like Whisper to track your coordinates only while you’re using them.
The last option, Always, allows apps to track you all the time. We recommend choosing the first or second option to reduce risks to your location.
Whisper is a great channel to rant about everyday stuff. However, it’s not the safest when you share sensitive info or engage in whistleblowing. Before sharing anything of that sort, it’s best to change your location on the app.
Following the steps above and using a tool like MockGo , you can easily make Whisper think you’re not at your actual location but present somewhere else.