While it is not uncommon for the iPhone’s screen to suddenly become unresponsive, there are times when the unresponsive iPhone screen problem is a lot more bizarre.
If just a section of your screen is not working, you may find it very difficult to operate the device.
Even the smallest of functions can be difficult to complete, making the device just as useless as if the whole screen had been unresponsive.
Therefore, the same causes that may make the entire iPhone screen unresponsive are the same that may cause the left side to stop working.
This also means that the solutions are just as similar and you can rest assured that the solutions, we discuss in this article will prove very useful to you.
Why Is the Left Side of Your iPhone Not Working?
For most people, this issue may occur if they had replaced the screen and then soon after updated the device to the latest version of iOS.
For the most part, the issue occurs when non-Apple screens are installed on the device by third parties.
But this issue has also been known to occur when the screen is repaired using official Apple Displays and you attempt to adjust brightness after updating the device.
This issue is not new. In 2017, the same issue popped up for devices with repaired screens and although Apple blamed the problem on third-party displays, they did eventually resolve the issue.
Keep in mind, however, that there may not be a new update to repair the device in the near future. But don’t worry as there are a lot of other solutions that you could try.
It is also worth pointing out that the iPhone X has been known to suffer from an unresponsive screen when it is used in near-freezing temperatures.
Apple has acknowledged that this problem can occur when there is a rapid change in temperature and they have issued a software fix for the issue.
Tips for Unresponsive Screens
Whether only a section of your screen or the whole screen is unresponsive, we recommend going through the following steps to try and resolve the issue:
- If the screen is only failing when you’re trying to use a certain app, try uninstalling and reinstalling the app in question.
- If your fingers are wet or dirty, try cleaning them. Dirty or wet fingers could be stopping the screen from making a connection.
- If you are wearing gloves, you might want to remove them. Certain types of gloves can work with touchscreens, but many do not.
- Remove any screen protectors that you may be using and try to use the screen directly.
- Use a soft cloth to wipe off any dirt or dust that may be on the screen.
- If your device has 3D Touch Sensitivity, check its settings. Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > 3D Touch and adjust the sensitivity slider.
- If the problem with the screen is one of rotation, like if the screen is refusing to rotate when you want it to, check Orientation Lock. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to open the Control Panel and tap on the “Rotating Padlock” icon.
- Press and hold the home button and the Power button at the same time for about 10 seconds. This will restart the device, which should eliminate the issue.
- You should also make sure that the version of iOS running on the device is up to date. Apple has traditionally offered solutions to screen issues like this one in an update.
- Has your device’s screen been recently repaired by a company other than Apple? This problem can occur if you use third-party replacement screens that may not work very well on the iPhone. If so, we recommend you go back to the repair company and tell them the problem you are having.
Force Reboot Your iPhone
The iPhone screen has been known to be unresponsive due to system glitches that can interfere with the proper function of the screen.
Force restarting the iPhone is a good way to resolve these glitches and may therefore resolve the unresponsive screen issue.
Follow these simple steps to force restart your iPhone:
- Step 1: Press and quickly release the Volume Up Button.
- Step 2: Press and quickly release the Volume Down Button.
- Step 3: Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.
Reset All Settings on Your iPhone
Resetting all settings to their factory defaults is also a very good way to remove any software glitches that could be causing the issue. Here’s how to do it:
- Step 1: Open the Settings app from the device’s Home Screen
- Step 2: Tap on “General” and then scroll down to tap “Reset.”
- Step 3: Tap “Reset All Settings” and enter the device’s passcode when prompted.
- Step 4: Finally, tap “Reset All Settings” to confirm.
Fix Software Issues on iPhone without Data Loss TinyFix
Perhaps the fastest way to fix system glitches that cause a part of your device’s screen to become unresponsive is to use a system repair tool like TinyFix.
TinyFix makes the repair process uncomplicated even for the beginner user as it is specifically designed to resolve issues like this one.
The following three-step process will help you to repair the device in a matter of minutes:
Step 1: Download and install TinyFix on to your computer.
Step 2: Launch the program after installation and then click on the “iOS System Repair”> “Standard Repair Mode.”
Step 3: Connect the iPhone to the computer. If the program is unable to recognize the device, you will need to put it in DFU Mode or recovery mode. The program provides you with the instructions to help you do that.
Step 4: Once the device is in DFU mode or recovery mode, the program should detect it easily. You will now just need to download the necessary firmware package required to fix the device. Choose the firmware package and then click “Download.”
Step 5: When the download is complete, check to make sure the information is correct and click “Fix Now” to begin the repair process.
The whole process will take only a few minutes. Your device will restart in normal mode with the issue resolved.
Perform a DFU Restore on Your iPhone
If the screen is still unresponsive, we recommend trying a DFU restore.
This should be a last resort as it will restore the firmware to the default state and clear the system including all the data on the device.
Ensure that you have a complete backup of all the data on your device and then follow these steps to perform a DFU restore:
- Step 1: Start by making sure that you have the latest version of iTunes installed on the device.
- Step 2: Turn off the iPhone and then connect it to the computer using its lightning cable.
- Step 3: Open iTunes and check to see if the connected iPhone appears in the list of devices.
- Step 4: On the iPhone, press and release the Volume Up button and immediately press and release the Volume Down button.
- Step 5: Then press the Side (Power) button and keep pressing it until the iPhone’s screen turns black.
- Step 6: Release the Side button and then hold down both the Side and the Volume Down buttons down at the same time for about 5 seconds.
- Step 7: Let go of the Side button, but continue to hold the Volume Down button.
- Step 8: In about 5 seconds, iTunes will recognize that the connected device is in DFU mode. You should see the message “iTunes has detected that iPhone in Recovery Mode” appear on the screen.
- Step 9: Restore the device to its factory settings by clicking on “Restore iPhone.”
Let Apple Do the Repair
We have exhausted all the solutions that you can try if the problem is caused by a software glitch.
So, if you try all the solutions, we have outlined above and the screen is still unresponsive, it is time to consider a hardware problem.
In this case, there is nothing you can do other than contact Apple or visit your nearest Apple Store to get the device repaired.
If the screen issue is indeed caused by a hardware problem, Apple technicians will be able to easily diagnose the problem and advise you on the next step forward.
As a touchscreen device, the iPhone’s screen is very important. When you can’t use the screen or it is unresponsive to touch, it can be very difficult to get the device to work at all.
More often than not, this issue is cause by a faulty iOS system, in which case this article has provided the most effective solutions to try.
We recommend trying each solution and following the instructions outlined here as precisely as you can.
If you have any questions regarding any of the solutions in this article, let us know in the comments section below or contact us.