The second-hand iOS device market gives a lot of people access to iOS devices that they would normally not be able to purchase.
But it does present a lot of problems for many users who only discover these problems after they have purchased the device.
One common problem is a device that is supervised or managed by MDM profiles and therefore inaccessible to the user.
If you find that your iOS device is controlled by a Jamf MDM profile, we have solutions for you that may be able to help.
Keep reading to find out how you can remove Jamf MDM profile from the device.
What is Jamf MDM Profile?
Jamf Pro is a cloud-based MDM whose features are designed to make it easy for organizations to keep a close eye on company iOS devices.
The fact that it is cloud-based means that a company can access all the data on all monitored devices from any website or device, giving users the convenience to easily track any device.
One of its main features is the ability to control the apps on the targeted iOS devices. The company can use Jamf MDM to uninstall any apps on the device or restrict access to some apps.
The MDM profile that Jamf installs on the iOS device will also control the security of the device including installing antivirus protection, compliance monitoring and even hunting for threats that may affect the device.
But if the device you purchased has Jamf MDM, all of these restrictions may keep you from adequately using your device.
In this article, we are going to be looking at some of the best ways to remove the Jamf MDM profile from your device.
Unmanaging Mobile Devices from Jamf Pro
If you have access to the Jamf account that was used to manage the device or devices, you can log in to the account to remove the Jamf profile. Here’s how to do it:
Remove a Single Device
- Step 1: Log in to Jamf Pro
- Step 2: Click on the “Devices” option at the top. Search for the device and when you find it, click on the target device.
- Step 3: Click on the “Management” tab and then select “Unmanaged Device.”
- If you want to erase the device as well, click on the “Wipe Device” button instead. If the device is not enrolled in Apple School Manager or Apple Business Manager it will not be re-enrolled into MDM when you set it up again.
- Step 4: Click “OK.”
- Step 5: You can also click “Delete” to remove the device’s directory from Jamf Pro.
Remove Multiple Devices
- Step 1: Log in to the Jamf management account.
- Step 2: Use the “Smart Device Groups” or “Static Device Groups” in the sidebar to choose the target device group.
- Step 3: Scroll down to the bottom of the page to click on “View”
- Step 4: Click “Action” and then choose “Send Remote Commands.”
- Step 5: Choose “Unmanage Institutionally Owned Device” and confirm that you would like to unmanage the device in the popup that appears.
- Step 6: A screen will appear confirming that the remote command has been sent. Click “Next” to continue.
You can also choose to delete the device group’s inventory from Jamf Pro. To do that, select the target device group and then go to View > Action > Delete Mobile Devices and then click “Next.”
Find more information about unmanaging devices from Jamf Pro.
How to Remove Jamf from iPhone without Password
But as is often the case, most people find that they don’t have access to the Jamf pro that was used to manage the device.
In this case, you need a solution that can help you remove the Jamf MDM profile from your device even if you don’t have the login details to do it.
One such program is Unlockit. This is an iOS unlocking tool that is designed to remove all types of locks from iOS devices including MDM restrictions.
The following are the program’s most notable features:
- The program is very easy to use, allowing you to remove any MDM profile from any iOS device in just 3 clicks.
- Once the MDM profile has been removed, you will have full access to the device with access to all data and features.
- You can remove MDM restrictions even if you don’t have the username or passcode.
- Your device will no longer be monitored by the company, school, or organization that placed the Jamf profile on it in the first place.
- Unlockit is also a great way to bypass screen time passcodes, and remove various types of passcodes.
Here’s how to use Unlockit to remove Jamf MDM from your device:
Step 1: Download and install Unlockit on your computer.
Step 2: Launch the program and then choose the “Bypass MDM Lock” from the options on the main screen.
Step 3: Connect the iPhone or iPad to your computer using USB cables and wait for the program to detect the connected devices.
Before you can begin removing the MDM profile, ensure that the device is on the MDM lock screen.
If you are not on the MDM bypass screen, you will need to reset the device. To do that, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.”
Step 4: Click on “Start” and Unlockit will begin removing the Jamf MDM restriction from the device.
Once the process is complete, Unlockit will notify you that the bypass has been successful. Click on “Done” and then disconnect the device from the computer.
Removing any kind of MDM profile can be very difficult, particularly if you don’t have administrator access to the MDM account used to create the profile.
But there are tools in the market that are made to lift these restrictions and many of them work very well.
So, if you find that your device has a Jamf profile attached to it, your best option may be to use a tool like Unlockit to remove the restriction.